Inv. No. 103 / 01
Provenance – first recorded in the 1970 CPR invenetory book.
Vilko Gliha’s Dolls come from his post-war period when he was engaged in illustrations of children’s books. In graphic works as in painting Gliha relied on traditional solutions. This particular linocut with a representation of dolls has simplified and stylized forms, characteristic of his works from the 1950s when he frequently used non-figurative expressions.
Vilko Gliha – Selan. – He was born in Mirna, near Novo Mesto. In 1936 he graduated from Academy od Fine Arts in Zagreb. As a professor at the School of Applied Arts in Zagreb he paid special attention to the problem of children’s artistic expression. He was one of the founders of the Centre for Children’s Drawing in Zagreb and instigator of the children’s review Radost. With Frano Baće and Ivan Švertasek he founded the Workshop for the Treatment of Precious Metals at the School of Applied Arts in Zagreb.
He produced oil paintings, mainly Dalmatian landscapes and still-lifes, but also graphic works, posters and illustrations of children’s books.
From 1950 he exhibited his works in Zagreb and abroad: Venice Biennial 1954, Arbon 1954, etc.
Sorce text: B. Crvenkovic, Catalogue of the Art Collection in the Royal Compound in Dedinje II, Yugoslav art, Platoneum, Novi Sad 2014